iOS app Last weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in Boston's largest all-female and non-binary hackathon! A group of friends and I wanted to digest as much tech and nerd information as possible, and we basically made it our mission to go to nearly every workshop session offered for two days straight. I don't know how we managed this but we did. From 5p on Friday and all day on Saturday, it seemed I bounced from one room to the next with a nap here and there. There was a workshop on rapid prototyping with AdobeXD -- which I am in love with. Then, I was able to create my first phone application during a workshop on iOS app development with Swift (it's much easier than I had imagined), followed by a workshop at 2am on Android app developmen t. For my very first hackathon-conference, I wanted to focus on skill development and learning, rather than the competition. However, seeing everyone so wrapped up in their individual designs and programming ...
For assignment #2, students were given the task of creating a well windlass from laser-cut Delrin sheets to lift a bottle (our "bucket") from the floor and 10 cm above the table top. My partner Kat and I considered how to include a cranking mechanism, pulley systems, and a stable base for such weight. The requirements: 1) The mechanism could only use 500 sq. cm of Delrin and 50cm of rod. 2) Had to span a gap of 12 cm and be able to lift the top 10cm of the bottle above the tabletop. 3) Had to support a 1 liter bottle of water without wobbling or breaking. During our brainstorming session, we came up with 2 ideas: an obvious, traditional crank using the rod as a spindle and a cracking mechanism based on a pulley system. The latter seemed more suitable as 1) the rod is not durable enough to remain straight with the weight of the bottle and 2) Delrin has a low coefficient of friction, which is attractive for a pulley system. Given the restrictions of a 500 cm^2 sheet o...
3rd Design: With limited time and a failed second iteration , my partner and I hoped to resolve the dimensions issues and modify the design. A few things we noted: -- The lamp pole wasn't the best handle. We needed some sort of curve to aid grabbing the bottle opener. -- The arms were too weak and tiny but we liked the idea of a similar lift; maybe we needed a larger hook and another point of leverage. -- The base of the lamp (the bottom opening) appeared that it would work if it had been printed to scale. So we wouldn't mess with that portion of the design. We returned to SolidWorks and modified our design, by eliminating the bottom arm and forming a more exaggerated upper arm/hook. We added a little bump on the pole to make a better handle (similar to the curves on the first design -- the "Bottle" bottle opener). However, again, when we sent it to the laser printer, our drawing was scaled down about half or more. [ A note on SolidWorks: After remeasuring and...
Comments
Post a Comment