Applying Design Principles: Multifunction Devices (MFDs)

The newly established MFDs are intended to comprise scanning, printing and copying abilities in one device, but recently there has been mixed emotions on their efficiency. To evaluate interactions with the MFDs, it is important to use the Seven Stages of Action in Norman's Design of Everyday Things:
For example....
Forming the goal -- To print document I sent from computer

Forming the intention -- I will approach MFD and initiate the printing.

Specifying an action -- Log-in to account; find the queued document and "release;" and log-out

Perceiving the state of the world -- Screen change signifies I have "logged in"or have hit a button. There are 3 main buttons on the side panel and paper settings on the first screen. First screen is for "copy" and I need to "print."

Interpreting the state of the world -- "Job list" does not show my titled document so this is not where I should be. "Check job" is my current page and it shows how to "copy;" this is not the right screen.

Evaluating the outcome -- I hit "[job] release" and a button for my titled document appears. I tap the document and the physical "Start button" glows automatically; I should hit it to print. Simple delivery of paper signifies time efficiency; trouble initiating delivery signifies

In addition to probe deeper into the product's design, I developed a mindmap and a Pugh chart (seen and discussed below) that broke down all of its components into sections and compared particular features to competing products. However, evaluating the MFDs solely on these seven stages is not enough to understand how effective they are in interactions. So I developed a needs assessment for the MFDs, from the three core areas of ask, observe and try.

Due to limited time, the needs assessment developed is not as equally developed in each area but I attempted to cover each. Ask allowed me to reach a broader population of students more quickly, via an electronic copy and person-to-person discussion. "Asking" would also give me a reason and a means to approach students I do not usually interact with or see in my common environment. (See responses below.) Unfortunately, I could not reach faculty members for their responses in a way to fairly represent their opinions. Hence, I focused on the students solely. In order to fully observe, I would need to establish myself near a printer for a substantial duration of time and approach each student interacting with the MFD. Such was not possible, and I approached students in the limited time I had available. 

Evan Williams (2017) likes that the MFD
technology is consistent across campus
and, after a little help at first, now
has little trouble in using them
I was able to identify particular stages of the process where students had success and difficulties. Surprisingly, there existed several patterns in how students utilize the MFDs and how easily they could interact. Afterwards, I asked them a few questions about the particular experience and their overall experience with MFDs. One student in particular (Evan Williams, 2017) expressed that the MFDs became easy for her after some instruction, and she was able to find and print her paper in a matter of seconds. For others, I found a similar trend and answer: after some help, the MFDs became a "breeze" to use. 

When I tried the MFDs for myself before I began observing and asking, I had some difficulty in finding the button for a certain function (e.g. keyboard to log-in, release a job). In fact, I could not figure out how to log-out of my account and the upperclasswoman beside me did not know either. After clicking around, she clicked a button on the keypad and the screen showed a "log-out" confirmation. After that moment and few more tries, I became familiar with the device and no more hesitation existed: to print, I simply clicked the keyboard to type in my username and password, then clicked release, click my document, tap the Start button on the keypad, and finally the button with the key icon to log-out for the next user. As shown below, based on more than sixty responses, the electronic survey demonstrates a generally negative experience with the MFDs across the classes. However, some have presented positive attributes. For instance:
Wanyi Li (2016) says the MFDs definitely "make you think more about how much you print" and she likes how the double-sided [and grayscale] feature are the default. However, she also noted that they are much different from the simple faculty printers one uses while in the computer labs [in the science center].
Jasmine Gums and Meaghan Leech (2015) both said that the MFDs "are improving" and it is not taking as long as it was to print a paper. Some have also noted that they are not standing in line to print as long as they were -- but I wonder if that is due more to the fact that the people are becoming more familiar with these devices, and not just the products themselves. 
Other responses included
"In the beginning, I was unsure how to release the 'job' once I had sent it to the printer. I also was unsure how to log out once I was finished. I did not find either of these steps instinctive."
"There is constantly a line for the printers. I have had to wait up to half an hour to print one sheet of paper. This is ridiculous. We have better things to do than waste our time trying to print."
"I do not have difficulty because I do not know how to use the printers, it's the printers that are having the difficulty. The first time I tried to print something this year, I was in the library for 2 hours trying to print 4 readings."
"I would have more of them, one in each dorm complex maybe." 
"I think the directions provided are clear and I like them... sometimes there are people using the machines for scanning or copying which are longer processes and that makes me wait longer to print my items [versus] them using a separate machine."

Sample MindMap for the MFDs
Based on the responses, the MFDs are effective in that:
  1. consistent across the campus
  2. combine capabilities in one device
  3. are improving in time efficiency
  4. raise awareness of paper and energy waste
On another note, the MFDs seem to be lacking in:
  1. mapping and visibility features
  2. providing multiple -page or -documents scanning and printing features
  3. preventing the loss of queued documents and other glitches
  4. durability
  5. minimal steps

Brainstormed Sketches
In short, the MFDs could use more work in how it sends messages to the students. I noticed such during my first try at the MFDs: there are an awfully lot of buttons. Both on the screen and on the keypad, there are several buttons for different functions and they can become overwhelming at first glance. Also,I noticed (and many responses and recorded observations confirm) that it takes more steps than usual to do a "simple print" or scan (as seen in the first three pictures). To resolve this fundamental problem (and others), I came up with a few ideas myself (See brainstorming sketches to right):

  1. Rather than having to push the Start button to release the document, just have a "Release" button on the screen
  2. Make everything touch-screen or on the keypad itself; no mix.
  3. Utilize a wider screen to spread out the buttons and resolve visual confusion.
  4. Have a cleaner home screen, where there are separate folders/screens for each function (e.g. scan, print, copy, email, etc.)
  5. Have the keyboard automatically pop-up for a text input box (e.g. username and password log-in)
  6. Have a log-out button at the top of the screen to touch, not just that random, small button on the keypad.
  7. Bolden and enlarge the text on the keypad; spread buttons out more.
For a Pugh Chart (comparison chart), I used the general in-home printer as the standard as most are familiar with such. I then compared the Wellesley MFDs to my personal Canon MX860 multifunction device based on the most popular issues/criteria among students. Finally, I did some research on what could satisfy these needs and had good reviews and came up with the XEROX Phaser 3635MFP. Similar to the excellent multifunction device I used at my government research internship this summer, this device has great reviews on its time efficiency and abilities, including email and fax. The buttons are clear, and there exists a nice combination between keypad and touchscreen to give it an aesthetic appeal and smooth functionality.
Canon MX860 (Home Use)

Standard Home/Dorm Printer
XEROX Screen/KeyPad


As a supporting note, the below infographics demonstrate the results of some of the responses to my survey questions. The two pieces of information have proved to be the most useful in my research and explanation. Based on this information and the Pugh chart, it seems that Ideas #1 and #4 would be the most effective in alleviating student body stress towards the products. 



Comments

  1. The way you conducted your survey on MFD is very impressive! I love how you did the graphs as it is really easy to understand and interpret the data. I also feel like your suggestions for improvement are very practical and well-thought out since you try to improve what we currently have instead of replacing the whole device with something else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laser-Cut Bottle Opener (3 of 3)

Truss Design 02

Introduction to My Product